Friday, August 29, 2008

on holiday

There was a post about New York being the loneliest place I know of. A bit about returning to Brooklyn, walking past my old hospital, past the Pakistani fruit vendor on the corner, past the old women in orange bright Saris, ornery boys in baggy jeans, young women in wigs and dark pleated skirts, their small sons with fresh haircuts and curled peyos, Ecuadorian men on the corners in thread bare suits who drive dented, dusty black sedans for hire. A bit about the noise and rush and empty open ugliness that is to me New York. A bit about the tragedy of summering in the Hamptons and the salvation of having lived in Brooklyn. There was a bit about the colorful quiet of coming home at sunset, of road trips and dogs and summer peaches. 


But it got lost to crowded up days and slow internet, to packed bags and misplaced passports, to international airports and lost luggage. 

And now I am sitting on a metal rail in a corner with old chewing gum wrappers and crumbling granite, in the Athens airport, on a prepaid internet card with minutes quickly ticking, waiting to depart to a small town on a small island off the west coast of Greece, to spend a week floating at sea. Our luggage is probably lost, perhaps forever, hopefully not; I've bought a terribly ugly teal blue bikini and some certainly cringe-worthy yoga-ish pants at a kiosk in the airport to bide a week on a boat in the ocean---ever and always mindfully aware breathlessly grateful that I can do that, that the time in my life when such an unpredicted set back would empty me of my precious little completely has come, and gone. Ever and always keeping attention of the collection of moments that make up the feast of my life. 

Unknown what the internet allowance will be, out there at sea. Likely absent, as one would expect. I will, however, be taking scads of pictures and some kind of log. I will post a link once it exists here. I have one favor, one vital, crucial, critical favor and that is this: please click the link, please visit, please look and come back here to say hi but please do not comment on the actual [whatever I might fashion]. Precious few in my life know of this blog and that provides me authenticity and safety and candor. I just don't want to even have to explain the existence of this and/or the content and I know I don't have to explain their existence to you.  

So that's all for now, stay tuned, come back again soon....