Wednesday, January 23, 2008

and another thing

I want ankles. More than almost anything on my list--cedar chests filled with cashmere blankets not withstanding--I want ankles. I have what some might refer to as an "ankle issue" but can be more aptly described as straight up cankles. I covet ankles so much that there are times when I find myself saying, "and what the F did she do to deserve those ankles?" I mean, really?

The thing is, everything looks better with ankles. For starters and straight out of the gate, flats. Flats look adorable in ankles. In cankles, they look like colorful thimbles on the end of someone's thumb. The thumb, of course, being the metaphore for my
tree branches legs. But there's so much more: heels, slippers (i.e. "flip flops"), clunky shoes, swanky shoes and anything, and I mean ANYTHING with an ankle strap. Ankle straps are absolutely out of the question on an ankle-less leg. Then there's shorts. Shorts just look so much better when there are ankles in involved. It almost doesn't matter what the circumference of my thighs are when there's no distinction between thighs and feet. Also, mid-calf anything. Mid-calf _________ is 100% ruined by the lack of ankles in my life. Everything "mid-calf" and "below the knee" eliminates the minor change in contour that "knee" provides, thereby rendering the bottom half of my body something akin to sausages. Sausages with shoes on.

Sometimes I dream of the advent of ankle-o-plasty, a miracle, painless, surgical repair for my ankle-less, cankleful life.